Re: Success (mostly) with the testsuite

From: Alexandre Oliva
Subject: Re: Success (mostly) with the testsuite
Date: 26 Oct 2000 06:30:42 -0200

On Oct 25, 2000, Akim Demaille <address@hidden> wrote:

>>>>>> "Daniele" == Daniele Arena <address@hidden> writes:

Daniele> That actually brings a "philosophical" question I always
Daniele> wanted to ask to GNU people (RMS, are you there?:); and that
Daniele> is, how far goes the support for oldish OSs in GNU packages?

> Quite far.  BSDI 3.1 is a target we aim at, we still support even
> older systems.

I'll add to that that `autoconf' should support as many systems as
possible, so as to give maintainers of other GNU packages the option
of supporting whatever systems they want to.  The GNU project doesn't
mandate all maintainers to support all systems in the world, but if
someone contributes ports that don't make a package too
unmaintainable, maintainers are encouraged to absorb them.

Daniele> I had no problem until now. I hadn't compiled textutils until
Daniele> 20 minutes ago, but now I did and it all went smoothly.

> That's a clear sign we have to maintain your architecture alive :)

Yup

Red Hat GCC Developer                  address@hidden, redhat.com}
CS PhD student at IC-Unicamp        address@hidden, gnu.org}