RE: Why is srcdir passed as .

From: Bernard Dautrevaux
Subject: RE: Why is srcdir passed as .
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 10:24:05 +0200

I think there is two problems here:

Ben seems to use $srcdir where it meant $top_srcdir :-) (If we build
in-place, then $srcdir == $builddir in all the tree).

Mo on the contrary is bothered by the fact that $srcdir is relative; just
calling "./configure -srcdir=/absolute/path/to/srcdir" shoudl solve the
problem.

Regards,

        Bernard

PS: IIUC, the special case of "." is just to avoid getting, in some second
level subdirectory name lib/somelib, srcdir set to
"../lib/../../lib/somelib" which is almost equivalent (but a lot longer) to
"." ;-) The "almost" above is for the case where "lib" is in fact a link to
"../../commonlibs". In this case "." would be correct while
"../lib/../../lib/somelib" would yield a "file not found" error somewhere
;-?

Bernard Dautrevaux
Microprocess Ingenierie
97 bis, rue de Colombes