Re: automatic setting of srcdir

From: Lars J. Aas
Subject: Re: automatic setting of srcdir
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2000 14:10:42 +0100

On Sat, Nov 04, 2000 at 07:48:33PM -0600, John A. Crow wrote:
: All -
:
: I am using autoconf-2.13.
:
: It looks to me from my experiments that by default the srcdir
: output variable is set to its relative path name. That is, if I do
:
:    ./configure
:
: I will get @srcdir@ replaced with "."; if I do for example
:
:   ../testdir/configure
:
: I will get @srcdir@ replaced with "../testdir".
:
: Is there any way to force this variable to be replaced with
: its absolute path name? I have seen this happen elsewhere
: with the configure script for finger.
:
: Any guidance will be appreciated.

The person running the configure script can invoke /absolute/path/to/configure
instead of ../relative/path/to/configure.  If this isn't good enough (don't
understand why you need absolute paths, though), you should be able to set up
configure.in like this to force $srcdir to become an absolute path:

AC_INIT(whatever)
my_ac_builddir_save="`pwd`"
cd "$srcdir"
srcdir="`pwd`"