Re: ac_cv_prog_gcc

From: Akim Demaille
Subject: Re: ac_cv_prog_gcc
Date: 08 Nov 2000 10:49:16 +0100

| Hello, Akim!
| > > $ac_cv_c_compiler_gnu() = yes;
| >
| > Akim> Heck.  Thanks for noticing :(
| >
| > I'm checking in the fix, thanks!
| >
| >         * aclang.m4 (ac_cv_prog_gcc, ac_cv_prog_gxx, ac_cv_prog_g77):
| >         Be AU_DEFUN'd, not AU_ALIAS'd.
|
| I'm afraid you are fixing the symptoms, not the cause.

Nope, I was exactly curing the cause.  AU_ALIAS aliases an old macro
to a new one.  In the present case, we are not talking about macros.

| For example, AC_CANONICAL_SYSTEM is converted by autoupdate to
|
| AC_CANONICAL_TARGET([])
|
| I understand that the role of autoupdate is to create a script conforming
| with the today's guidelines. I don't think that giving an empty argument
| to AC_CANONICAL_TARGET is what we recommend users to do.

Just some information you might have missed:

2000-11-03  Akim Demaille  <address@hidden>

        * acgeneral.m4 (AU_ALIAS): Don't forget to pass the arguments to
        the new macro...
        Reported by Ezra Peisach.
        * tests/semantics.m4 (AC_HAVE_FUNCS): New test.
        * tests/tools.at (autoupdate): As a benign side effect, updating a
        macro that takes no argument produces `UPDATED([])', no longer
        `UPDATED()'.  Adjust the test.

| The problem appears to be in the definition of AU_DEFUN. It adds
| parentheses unconditionally. Maybe we need another AU_DEFUN, without
| parentheses?

I think you mean AU_ALIAS, not AU_DEFUN?  Well, anyway these parens
are important, otherwise you just don't pass the arguments from the
old macro name to the new one.  That's the PR that was filled about
AC_HAVE_FUNCS not working.