Autoconf oddities on Compaq Tru64

From: Michel Jouvin
Subject: Autoconf oddities on Compaq Tru64
Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2000 23:14:56 +0100

Hi,

This is quite a long time I am experiencing problems with configure
scripts on Tru64 because the -l is inserted before -L when adding
additional libraries not in the standard search path.

Trying to understand why I recently discovered it was done by
AC_CHECK_LIB macro in Autoconf acgeneral.m4 file. Is there any reason
for that. This is a problem on Tru64 because the linker requires the
-L before the -l that needs it.

As a temporary workaround, I changed that behaviour but I'd like to
know if there is some side effect and, if not, if this is possible to
have this change inserted in a future release of autoconf.

Thanks in advance for your answer.

Michel

    * Michel Jouvin                 Email : address@hidden *
    * LAL / CNRS                    Fax : +33 1 69079404        *
    * B.P. 34                                                   *
    * 91898 Orsay Cedex                                         *
    * France                                                    *