Re: Autoconf oddities on Compaq Tru64

From: Peter Eisentraut
Subject: Re: Autoconf oddities on Compaq Tru64
Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2000 23:57:57 +0100 (CET)

Michel Jouvin writes:

> This is quite a long time I am experiencing problems with configure
> scripts on Tru64 because the -l is inserted before -L when adding
> additional libraries not in the standard search path.

Put the -L options in LDFLAGS.

> Trying to understand why I recently discovered it was done by
> AC_CHECK_LIB macro in Autoconf acgeneral.m4 file. Is there any reason
> for that.

It's the same reason really: the -l options need to be in dependency
order, at least on some systems.  Therefore, the libraries you check for
later (and which might depend on the ones you checked for earlier) need to
appear before the earlier ones on the link command line.

--
Peter Eisentraut      address@hidden       http://yi.org/peter-e/