Re: OBJ and EXE and cross-compilation (Was: AC_OBJEXT again)

From: Mo DeJong
Subject: Re: OBJ and EXE and cross-compilation (Was: AC_OBJEXT again)
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 16:00:19 -0800 (PST)

On Tue, 12 Dec 2000, Earnie Boyd wrote:

> --- Mo DeJong <address@hidden> wrote:
> >
> > But would this still work if I wanted to compile with
> > the mingw compiler under Cygwin? The mingw native
> > compiler is also named gcc, so what --host triple
> > would I need to pass to the configure script? It
> > seems like I would need to pass something for the
> > --host argument, otherwise the configure script
> > would not think it was a cross compile. Is this
> > even a cross compile? Well sort of. (ugh)
> >

> You would need to
>   CC='gcc -mno-cygwin' configure --host=i386-mingw32msvc

Actually, that is yet another wrinkle. I was talking
about using the mingw compiler, not the Cygwin compiler
in mingw mode. In some cases, you just can't use
the Cygwin gcc in mingw mode. For example, C++ code
can not be compiled with Cygwin in mingw mode without
linking to the Cygwin c++ lib (which needs cygwin1.dll).

Me thinks that all of this nastiness is the reason that
AC_CYGWIN was created in the first place. You just
can't figure out what mode the Cygwin compiler is in
by looking at the output of uname. You need to actually
compile something, since the compiler's mode can depend
on the CFLAGS. I guess the question is, should we
try to compile something and the set the $host if the
user did not, or do we just expect that the user is
going to pass the correct --host?

Mo DeJong
Red Hat Inc