Re: AC_OBJEXT again

From: Lars J. Aas
Subject: Re: AC_OBJEXT again
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 14:51:13 +0100

On Tue, Dec 12, 2000 at 09:22:08PM +0100, address@hidden wrote:
: +# Ignore .d files produced by CFLAGS=-MD.
: +#
: +# On UWIN (which uses a cc wrapper for MSVC), the compiler also generates
: +# a .pdb file
: +#
: +# When the w32 free Borland C++ command line compiler links a program
: +# (conftest.exe), it also produces a file named `conftest.tds' in
: +# addition to `conftest.obj'

Regardnig the .tds file created with the Borland compiler wrapper, it is
actually a problem that lies elsewhere.

The problem is that the compile test is invoked like this:

  $CC -o conftest -c conftest.c

The compiler wrappers we've written does pretty basic translation between
standard options and native compiler options.  The -o option on the above
line triggers the linking of an executable, which causes all sorts of
other files to be created, including the .exe file which becomes the
current OBJEXT on our projects when we compile on Cygwin :-(.  When we've
tweaked the wrappers to parse "-c" as "compile only", this problem will
hopefully be fixed.

  Lars J
--
Innovation is one percent inspiration and ninetynine percent perspiration,
and in my case; twice that...  -- Norville Barnes, `The Hudsucker Proxy'