Re: changequote

From: Akim Demaille
Subject: Re: changequote
Date: 22 Dec 2000 11:35:47 +0100

>>>>> "Mirar" == Mirar  <address@hidden> writes:

Mirar> After looking into things a little bit more today, I can say:

Mirar> What the heck is with this totally overexaggerated quoting in
Mirar> macros?

Sorry, that's exactly the converse: what the heck is this idea that
one can write program without paying attention to the programming
language?  M4 is a programming language, it comes with its rules, and
if you disregard them, _you_ are wrong.

Nevertheless, don't be afraid, it's Autoconf itself which is guilty:
it has propagated this stupid idea that by default there should be no
quotation but where needed.  IMNSHO this was stupid and dangerous.

Today the situation has improved, and I do believe things are simpler
for they are homogeneous.  If you want to learn the whys and hows
about M4 quotation, read the CVS Autoconf documentation.