Re: CVS checkouts of *.in and *.am files

From: Alexandre Oliva
Subject: Re: CVS checkouts of *.in and *.am files
Date: 19 Jan 2001 23:23:16 -0200

On Jan 19, 2001, "Derek R. Price" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Harlan Stenn wrote:

>> - on checkin, check the files in with the timestamp on the "local" file
>>
>> - on checkout/update, get the list of files that will be "messed with"
>> and simply do the work in oldest -> newest order

>> - Will this work?

> Yes, as long as the client and server can agree on the time.

Not really.  It's quite common that, even when a dependence file is
modified, a generated file that depends on it doesn't change (think of
config.h.in, when the modified configure.in hasn't introduced nor
removed any AC_DEFINEs).  In this case, it won't be checked in (unless
someone pushes for it).  Thus, even if CVS were smart enough to retain
relative timestamps globally, it would still get this case wrong.

Red Hat GCC Developer                  address@hidden, redhat.com}
CS PhD student at IC-Unicamp        address@hidden, gnu.org}