Re: CVS checkouts of *.in and *.am files

From: Derek R. Price
Subject: Re: CVS checkouts of *.in and *.am files
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2001 01:20:15 -0500

Alexandre Oliva wrote:

> On Jan 19, 2001, "Derek R. Price" <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > Harlan Stenn wrote:
>
> >> - on checkin, check the files in with the timestamp on the "local" file
> >>
> >> - on checkout/update, get the list of files that will be "messed with"
> >> and simply do the work in oldest -> newest order
>
> >> - Will this work?
>
> > Yes, as long as the client and server can agree on the time.
>
> Not really.  It's quite common that, even when a dependence file is
> modified, a generated file that depends on it doesn't change (think of
> config.h.in, when the modified configure.in hasn't introduced nor
> removed any AC_DEFINEs).  In this case, it won't be checked in (unless
> someone pushes for it).  Thus, even if CVS were smart enough to retain
> relative timestamps globally, it would still get this case wrong.

Well, you have to use the force option to cvs commit ('cvs ci -f') to commit
any file with a changed timestamp - just like I was until recently with the
CVS sources before Larry Jones reminded me that it really only affected a
fresh checkout  :)  (anyone know how to make the grin on an emoticon wry?).
I was assuming a forced commit of files with changed timestamps and assuming
Harlan was assuming it, but you're right, I probably should have been
explicit.

Derek

--
Derek Price                      CVS Solutions Architect ( http://CVSHome.org )
mailto:address@hidden     OpenAvenue ( http://OpenAvenue.com )

     - Hamlet, Act III, Scene 1, Lines 109-116