Re: autoconf auxdir

From: Akim Demaille
Subject: Re: autoconf auxdir
Date: 06 Apr 2001 14:45:02 +0200

| 1) I've become quite a fan of using the AC_CONFIG_AUX_DIR macro, and I
|    wouldn't mind if one was set up in Autoconf too.  Are there good reasons
|    for not setting one up?

The only real question is the name of that directory.  I vote for config/.

| 2) We ought to unify the way these macros are named:
|
|    AC_CONFIG_AUX_DIR
|    AC_CONFIG_SRCDIR
|
|    One ought to change and be AU_DEFUN'ed, and sooner rather than later
|    IMO (before 2.50).  Any opinions on this?  Any other such convention-
|    breaking names in the package?

I agree too, and as a matter of fact, it has already been debated by
the past, but no action was taken.

One reason to delay this is that the current status is extremely
unsatisfying.  Having a look at the way Automake has to adjust itself
to configure.in without AC_CONFIG_AUX_DIR gives a pretty good idea of
how this innocent definition is actually complex.

So I'd like, in the future, to have something more uniform, and then,
maybe we will want to AU it.  Hence, I'd like to delay.

The doc and the web needs you ;)