Re: Release next week?

From: Akim Demaille
Subject: Re: Release next week?
Date: 10 Apr 2001 11:24:49 +0200

>>>>> "Thomas" == Thomas Dickey <address@hidden> writes:

>> [Perl] How does this sound?

Thomas> not acceptable (let's not let your biases get in the way)

:) :) :)

Well, my biases are the PITA that represents maintaining a sed + sh +
awk program such as autoconf.  autoconf is _slow_, very slow.  Sure,
m4 is the most expansive part of autoconf's task, but maintaining
autoconf, autoheader etc. as separated sh scripts is a hassle.

Again, the portability problems we address are those of the *user*,
not that of the maintainer.

Using Perl we let us factor the code, and concentrate on our features
instead of others' misfeatures.