Re: Interface of AC_F77_DUMMY_MAIN

From: Steven G. Johnson
Subject: Re: Interface of AC_F77_DUMMY_MAIN
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2001 10:41:39 -0400 (EDT)

On 12 Jul 2001, Akim Demaille wrote:
>  AC_F77_DUMMY_MAIN (action-if-fail, action-if-none, action-if-found)
>
> I have a problem at least with the order here.  I'd prefer
>
>         action-if-found, action-if-none, action-if-fail
>
> and I would even prefer to have
>
>         action-if-found, action-if-not-found (= if-fail)
>
> and have an official var left to the user to perform her tasks, say
> $F77_DUMMY_MAIN.  This is more conventional in Autoconf.

The reason I put action-if-fail first was because I figured that it would
be the one the user is most likely to override.

The default action-if-fail for this routine is to call AC_ERROR, since the
detected FLIBS do not work and the user most likely needs to fix
something.  However, a configure.ac may wish to change this if the package
can gracefully stop using Fortran.

On the other hand, the default action-if-found is to AC_DEFINE
F77_DUMMY_MAIN, and the user almost certainly does *not* want to override
this, since F77_DUMMY_MAIN is required for future link tests
(e.g. AC_F77_WRAPPERS) to function.  It would be annoying to have to
duplicate this if you only want to override action-if-fail.

Suggestions?

Steven