Fwd: Mailman results for Autoconf

From: Subhash Verma
Subject: Fwd: Mailman results for Autoconf
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2001 18:54:38 +0530

Hi all!
I'm sorry if this question is totally irrelevent, but I felt that I may get some help from you all, so I asking this.
I have to build GNU make tool for the target "xpp-elf" under cygwin.
my host is i686-pc-cygwin and target is xpp-elf.
1.What specific changes (with respect to the target processor )are required in configure.in, Makefile.am,acconfig.h or other files.
2.is this the case of cross-compilation?
means does it require cross-compiler like xpp-elf-gcc(not implemented yet)to build the tool( GNU make) for specified target.

Actually I gone through a article on "configure" at
"http://www.airs.com/ian/configure/configure_5.html#SEC30"; and found that this article is suggesting that
For Ref. ..............................................................
"When building cross compilation tools, there are two different systems
involved: the system on which the tools will run, and the system for which the tools generate code.
The system on which the tools will run is called the host system.
The system for which the tools generate code is called the target system.
For example, suppose you have a compiler which runs on a GNU/Linux system and generates ELF programs for a MIPS embedded system. In this case the GNU/Linux system is the host, and the MIPS ELF system is the target. Such a compiler could be called a GNU/Linux cross MIPS ELF compiler, or, equivalently, a `i386-linux-gnu' cross `mips-elf' compiler Naturally, most programs are not cross compilation tools. For those programs, it does not make sense to speak of a target. It only makes sense to speak of a target for tools like `gcc' or the `binutils' which actually produce running code. For example, it does not make sense to speak of the target of a tool like `bison' or `make'. "
3. would anybody plz. explain what is "cross compilation tools".
   if GNU make is not a cross compilation tools, does it means that it
does not require any cross-compiler to build it for any target?

so I am confused whether I must have xpp-elf-gcc to build GNU make tool to compile its source code or simply available gcc will work.

I appreciate any help.
Thanx in advance.
subhash