Re: Weird problems on AIX 4.3.3.0 system

From: Will Andrews
Subject: Re: Weird problems on AIX 4.3.3.0 system
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 13:15:58 -0500

On Tue, Jul 31, 2001 at 10:17:49AM -0700, Paul Eggert (address@hidden) wrote:
> Perhaps you're running 'configure' as root but the shell-script as
> non-root?  That might explain matters if the source is mounted via NFS
> without root-over-the-wire privileges.

Nope.  I tested configure on /tmp (local disk).  It's not a NFS
problem, it would seem.  Both were tested non-root.

> It does seem to me that 'configure' should exit if this error is
> found, as it's a serious one.  Here's a proposed (and untested) patch.

Yes, it should.  The thing is, configure exits with a code 1, but
everything compiles on AIX fine...  :-)

> 2001-07-31  Paul Eggert  <address@hidden>
>
>       * acgeneral.m4 (_AC_INIT_HELP, _AC_OUTPUT_COMMANDS):
>       Report an error and fail if pwd fails.
>       * m4/init.m4 (AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE): Likewise.
>       * m4/missing.m4 (AM_MISSING_HAS_RUN, AM_AUX_DIR_EXPAND): Likewise.
>
>       The above patch assumes that we are operating on ordinary
>       hosts where 'x=`pwd` || echo failure' works as expected.
>       Buggy hosts, where x=`pwd` always succeeds, are no worse off
>       than before.

Thanks, I'll try it out.  Should have an answer for you by the
end of the day...

--
wca