AFS installs

From: Grosch, Scott
Subject: AFS installs
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 13:26:25 -0700

Has anyone written some type of AFS awareness macro for the install piece
of autoconf?  AFS uses a different path to install into.  For example, if
I say to use /usr/local/bin, it really means:

(pdxss020, sunos 5.6) % cd /usr/local/bin
(pdxss020, sunos 5.6) % pwd
/afs/pdx.intel.com/local/sun4x_56/97r1/phase1
(pdxss020, sunos 5.6) % go2rw
/afs/.pdx.intel.com/local/sun4x_56/97r1/phase1

So /usr/local/bin is that long AFS path, and then to install into it I
really need the 'dot path', so to copy into /usr/local/bin/foo I need to
copy as /afs/.pdx.intel.com/local/sun4x_56/97r1/phase1/foo, and then when
an administrator releases the volume, /usr/local/bin/foo would be visible.

I also know some shells will return /usr/local/bin when I run that pwd
instead
of the real path, i.e. they return the path you used via cd, instead of the
real thing, which would cause problems.