autoconf with perl XS modules

From: Grosch, Scott
Subject: autoconf with perl XS modules
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 13:28:42 -0700

When extending perl with the XS stuff, you need a Makefile.PL that has perl
run against it, which creates a Makefile to build/install the tool properly.
I want to distribute one of those with my autoconf'd package.  I have
created
a Makefile.PL.in and a few other .in files, and have configure.ac create the
appropriate files.

The problem though is that I'm not sure how to have a 'make' run perl
against
that Makefile.PL and then rerun make against the resulting file.  There is
also
an issue that if I run configure from a different directory than the source,
that means that all the files aren't copied to that other directory, and the
resulting perl Makefile doesn't know how to build against sources that are
in another directory.

Has anyone tackled this before?