is AC_SUBST( name containing a variable identificator ) possible ?

From: Martin Quinson
Subject: is AC_SUBST( name containing a variable identificator ) possible ?
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 10:52:46 +0200

Hello,

[Please CC me when responding since I'm not subscribed yet]

I'm hacking some kind of AC_SEARCH_LIBRARY(name,...) macro, and I would like
to do something like

   AC_SUBST( $1[]_CFLAGS )

so that the makefiles can use only the CFLAGS they need, given on their
dependency (CFLAGS may be conflicting, for example -O0 somewhere and -02
somewhere else).

I've searched for a macro doing such a changing AC_SUBST, but I failed
either in autoconf or in autoconf macro archive, or even in automake. Ok, my
search was far from being exaustive, but...

I've looked in the ML, but since I found no search engine, I gave up
rapidly.

Then, I've tried to track down what AC_SUBST does, to see how to do (or
change). But it's in the m4sugar.m4, which is far beyond my capacity in m4...

I've thought about using plain m4

  define($1[]_CFLAGS,<the value I've computed>)

and add manually a new rule to the _AC_OUTPUT_FILES (or where it should) on
my own machine

  s/@name@/value/

but I think it's a bit overkill, isn't it ?

Is there any clean way to do that ?

Tanks for your response, Mt.