Unable to make or configure under HPUX

From: Doug Speck
Subject: Unable to make or configure under HPUX
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2001 10:58:50 -0700

In attempting to re-compile under HPUX a library I maintain on several UNIX
platforms, my Makefile terminates with the following:

/usr/lib/dld.sl: Can't open shared library: /usr/local/lib/libbfd-2.9.1.sl.0
/usr/lib/dld.sl: No such file or directory

I'm told this host has undergone a major OS upgrade since I last compiled, so
after make failed I went to re-run configure, but that
no longer recognizes the host type ("checking host system type... Invalid
configuration `hppa2.0w-hp-hpux11.11': machine
`hppa2.0w-hp' not recognized"), and the Makefiles built have the wrong compiler
flags and ultimately fail with the same error as the
original Makefile.

Next I thought I'd build and run autoconf (plus automake and any other needed
tools) on this HP to re-create the configure script,
but I cannot successfully build autoconf, automake, m4, or libtool.  Attempts
to compile m4 and libtool fail with the same
"/usr/lib/dld.sl...libbfd..." error; autoconf won't build without GNU m4.
Running the automake Makefile doesn't err off, but there
seem to be lots of empty symbols and "No suffix list" messages.

I believe I originally built the configure script for my library with autoconf
2.13.  The version I've been attempting to build is
2.50.

Any suggestions?  Does anyone know what "libbfd" is?

Thanks,
Doug
Douglas E. Speck
Computational Engineering Group
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
L-125/7000 East Ave./Livermore, CA  94550
address@hidden           (925) 423-4208