Re: A beta? 2.52e?

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: A beta? 2.52e?
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 09:27:06 -0700 (PDT)

> From: Akim Demaille <address@hidden>
> Date: 24 Oct 2001 16:31:10 +0200
>
> Agreed.  That's why pushing a beta might help finding more about this
> issue.  The one you raise, C-c while writing $0.lineno, can be solved
> using a tmp file, then an mv.

It won't solve the problem in general, though.  For example, on a fast
machine configure.lineno might be older than configure even though its
timestamp agrees to the nearest second.  This would cause "configure"
to not rebuild itself, but to run an obsolete version of itself instead.

You can fix that problem by removing the "ls -1dt" check.

But there are probably other problems with that code too.

I think we can now remove the "awk <$as_myself" part of Autoconf, and
that nobody would notice it if we did remove it.  That issue is no
longer worth worrying about in practice, now that the code runs a
POSIX shell on 99.999% of platforms.