Re: FHS

From: Richard B. Kreckel
Subject: Re: FHS
Date: Sat, 5 Jan 2002 18:47:49 +0100 (CET)

On Sat, 5 Jan 2002, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> > When upgrading some packages to AutoConf-2.52 I noticed that given
> > --prefix=/usr, manpages go straight into /usr/man/.  Hmm, but we got a
> > filesystem hierarchy standard <http://www.pathname.com/fhs/>!
>
> But we've also got the GNU Coding Standards
> <http://www.gnu.org/prep/standards_toc.html>.

Okay, but I am unable to spot the contradiction with FHS.  For instance,
it says:

`mandir'
      The top-level directory for installing the man pages (if any) for
      this package. It will normally be `/usr/local/man', but you should
      write it as `$(prefix)/man'. (If you are using Autoconf, write it as
      address@hidden@'.)

There, $(prefix)/man would be problematic, but if the Autoconf-generated
configure would replace Makefile.in's @mandir@ with something appropiate
everybody would be merry.  Wrong?

Cheers
   -richy.