Re: macro archive re-launch

From: Alexandre Duret-Lutz
Subject: Re: macro archive re-launch
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 10:28:14 +0100

>>> "Peter" == Peter Simons <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

 Peter> Furthermore, I wrote a formatting engine that will parse the SGML file
 Peter> to (a) extract the macro as raw m4 file

I whish you could do the converse: keep the raw m4 file as the
source and extract whatever you want from this.

I've contributed a couple of macros to the archive, and didn't
mind adding a few comments at the top of my sources.  Those
comments are useful out of the archive too.

Requiring authors to supply an SGML file is asking them to
maintain two files: the m4 file they use in their project plus a
separate SGML file that documents it in a human-unreadable way
and which also contains a copy of the m4 file.  Personally I'd
be unwilling to commit that much effort to sharing macros.

Instead, why not going toward something like perlpod?  Autoconf
itself could extract some of its documentation from its sources
files if such a tool existed.

[...]
--
Alexandre Duret-Lutz