Re: saving AC development strength

From: Peter Eisentraut
Subject: Re: saving AC development strength
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 15:45:23 -0500 (EST)

Bruce Korb writes:

> I would have been bolder, but the only real feedback I have gotten
> (positive, by the way) is from Guido and Peter.  Nobody else has
> ever tried it out.  (I confess to logging the test types and names,
> just to see if it is used at all.  It's not.)  :-(

I admit to have looked at it a few times, but never really figured out
what it would do for me.  (Plus, having to enter your name and having
everything logged isn't exactly what draws testers.)  A few minutes ago I
just tried it out with a macro that I already had written, but I must
conclude that the interface is extremely limited and hard to understand,
and the macro I got as output is not exactly pretty.

To start, the "half-line description" input field is too short, and it
automatically prepends the word "whether", which is not what I want.  The
AC_DEFINE description string also reads strangely.  The macro uses dnl
comments when # should be used.  Changequote is going to get you into
trouble with Akim.  I don't know what this $ag_poplang variable is
supposed to do, but I've never felt the need for it in hand-written
macros.

If I just want to compile something I can just write AC_TRY_COMPILE (or
AC_COMPILE_IFELSE, or whatever it's called these days) myself.  If I'm
looking for something more complicated I need to do my own programming
anyway or resort to an archive.

Just my impression.

--
Peter Eisentraut   address@hidden