Re: Apologies (Was Re: AC_INIT translates PACKAGE to lower case)

From: Ralf Corsepius
Subject: Re: Apologies (Was Re: AC_INIT translates PACKAGE to lower case)
Date: 05 Feb 2002 11:13:31 +0100

Am Die, 2002-02-05 um 09.45 schrieb Akim Demaille:

> Ralf> Example: Why should AC_INIT provide an email address or
> Ralf> PACKAGE_BUGREPORT? If a user really wants one, let him put a
> Ralf> AC_PACKAGE_ADDRESS(address@hidden) or similar into his
> Ralf> configure.ac.
>
> Akim> No, I've always been in favor of using m4_define, because there
> Akim> is no point in introducing many macros for a single job
> Akim> (defining).  But I've told that that's ``ugly hacks''.
>
> Err ``I've _been_ told'', sorry.
Probably, I said that.

The problem I have with regard to m4_define() is that it is not
autoupdate-able, or at least very difficult to apply autoupdate, AFAICT.

Having specialized macros AC_SOMEMACRO it become much easier to
automatically convert configure.acs and aclocal/*.m4s. That's why I am
against using m4_define on the user-side of autoconf.