Re: AC quoting rules

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: AC quoting rules
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 10:44:39 -0800 (PST)

> From: Akim Demaille <address@hidden>
> Date: 11 Feb 2002 15:23:31 +0100
>
> | The idea is to use shell syntax rather than IFELSE when programming
> | something that is executed at runtime by 'configure'.  This is partly
> | because the shell syntax is more readable than IFELSE, and partly
> | because using a different syntax makes it easier for readers to
> | distinguish autoconf-time actions from configure-time actions.
>
> In fact, there several reasons why I'm heading to more M4-IF one
> being... that it's that IF that ought to handle the cache part....
> That way, the *user* will not have to know the name of the cache
> variable.

Offhand I don't see why these are incompatible goals.  That is, I
think you can use M4 to automate all the caching, while still using
shell syntax for (possibly-cached) actions meant to be done at
configure-time.  Admittedly I haven't thought through all the issues.

The shell syntax increases readability, at least for this reader.
It's not an essential issue, but it is a nicety.