Re: Two problems for autoconf(1.NEC SX 2.Cray)

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Two problems for autoconf(1.NEC SX 2.Cray)
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 01:17:16 -0800 (PST)

> From: Len Makin <address@hidden>
> Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 16:56:24 +1100

> What about something like if or case to check
> # Check for NEC SX compiler
> if cc -c -V 2>&1 | grep '/SX' > /dev/null 2>&1 ; then
> # action for NEC

I'd rather that Autoconf continues to avoid that kind of approach.
Once you start counting compiler versions, there are thousands of C
compilers out there.  We don't want to check for every one, and we
certainly don't want to maintain Autoconf code that knows each
compiler's quirks.

>  I still think the suggestion is reasonable - use $SED not sed
> wherever possible

We've managed to avoid that complication for many years, and we don't
need it here either (the real problem was the use of a sed construct
that is documented to be unportable).  Perhaps we'll need that feature
eventually, but I hope not.  Autoconf is too complicated already.