Re: How to debug configure scripts with 2.53?

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: How to debug configure scripts with 2.53?
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2002 12:27:45 -0800 (PST)

> From: Lars Hecking <address@hidden>
> Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2002 16:53:10 +0000
>

>  I have a configure(.in) that breaks all over the place with autoconf 2.53.
>  How can I debug this? I used to just
>
> $ sh -x ./configure >log 2>&1
>
>  and then take a look at log, but this doesn't work anymore.

Could you give more details about the "doesn't work".  What happens,
exactly?  I just tried it with diffutils 2.7.10 configure and got a
log that looked like this:

   + expr a : \(a\)
   as_expr=expr
   + test -n
   CONFIG_SHELL=/bin/bash
   + export CONFIG_SHELL
   + exec /bin/bash ./configure

and at this point the debugging output ceased, not surprisingly.
However, when I ran it this way:

   $ bash -x ./configure >log 2>&1

it worked fine.