user _m4_divert_diversion error

From: Shaun Jackman
Subject: user _m4_divert_diversion error
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2002 23:06:18 -0800

I maintain a small open source program called kionjb. I got the following bug
report from a user.

> "Configure" is o.k., but "make" is stopping with the error
>
> cd . && autoheader
> ./aclocal.m4:2508: error: m4_defn: undefined macro: _m4_divert_diversion
> acfunctions.m4:1108: AM_FUNC_OBSTACK is expanded from...
> ./aclocal.m4:2508: the top level
> autoconf: tracing failed
> make: *** [stamp-h.in] Error 1

Can you help me troubleshoot his problem? My first confusion is trying to
figure out why the auto* tools are running at all. He's simply trying to
compile my source tarball. My understanding of the auto* tools was that the
user didn't need to have them installed, and thus they shouldn't run during a
normal ./configure && make build process. The source tarball is built by a
'make dist' using a Makefile generate by automake.

Thanks,
Shaun