Re: LIBOBJS and ANSI2KNR fix?

From: Harlan Stenn
Subject: Re: LIBOBJS and ANSI2KNR fix?
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 00:17:45 -0500

Thanks for your response.

> > From: Harlan Stenn <address@hidden>
> > Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2002 16:54:14 -0500
> >
> > - Do I still need to worry about this problem with LIBOBJS and ANSI2KNR?
>
> I think the answer is "no".

I did a quick test tonight, and it's fixed in 2.52.  I'm not sure about 2.50.

> However, I'm not a particularly good person to ask, as I've dropped
> support for K&R in all the packages I maintain.  I think it's time to
> let go of K&R support except perhaps for tools needed to bootstrap GCC
> on a K&R host.

I'd like to, but there's a requirement that the NTP software build on
Vendorware, and there are still folks who build NTP on ancient SunOS and DEC
Ultrix boxes.  Sigh.

> > - If not, at what point was this problem fixed?
>
> I think it was fixed in 2.50, but I'm not really sure.  Is the exact
> version number important?

The NTP software currently requires 2.49, and I heard an unconfirmed rumor
that 2.50 no longer works to autoconfig NTP.  People get Upset with me every
time I bump the version of autoconf that is required to build NTP, and given
that the LIBOBJ cannot be used with 2.53 and isn't needed with 2.52, I would
like to know what version of autoconf I need to require.

I hope I'm making sense...