Re: How do I conditinally make a makefile?

From: Thomas E. Dickey
Subject: Re: How do I conditinally make a makefile?
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2002 11:49:35 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 19 Apr 2002, Andreas Schwab wrote:

> |> only by people who prefer to misuse the terms (what you should say, to be
> |> accurate is that autoconf 2.5x is designed to be incompatible in this
> |> area)
>
> In which way is it incompatible?

aside from bugs?  2.53 has some new ones which I noticed but haven't
gotten around to studying - I only got to that early this week.

The usual point about incompatibility is that quoting has changed.
Indirectly that also affects the use of macros within macros - some
combinations were declared illegal in 2.5x.  I note that 2.5x detects a
few of the places where incompatibilties were introduced but generally
not.  I've modified most of my scripts so they'll work (barring new bugs
as noted) with either version, but retain compatibilty with 2.13 because
2.5x does not work with "older" shells.  Reading the bug reports, it
appears that 2.5x is tested well only using bash.

--
T.E.Dickey <address@hidden>
http://invisible-island.net