Cross-compilation with autoconf

From: Ross Burton
Subject: Cross-compilation with autoconf
Date: 08 Jul 2002 15:36:03 +0100

Hi,

What is required to add a new processor target to autoconf?  I ask as we
are currently looking at porting a unit testing framework (check.sf.net)
to allow it to run on embedded systems.  It currently uses autoconf so
we were looking at simply extending the tests it does (basically all we
need to add is "can fork? can use FILE*?") but the crucial point running
configure for the embedded target.

As far as I can tell, we'd run on a desktop "./configure
--target=avr-iar" and then configure needs to load a file containing the
symbols for that target.

How do I  write this file?  Although I've used configure many times and
know roughly how it works, this is beyond me and the Autoconf manual is
rather vague on this point.

Thanks for any help,
Ross Burton
--
Ross Burton                     Software Engineer
OneEighty Software Ltd          Tel: +44 20 8680 8712