I18n and locale

From: Wolfgang Müller
Subject: I18n and locale
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2002 17:56:08 +0200

Hi,

I want to find out the default encoding used by my machine in order to run
some perl scripts properly that do (among other things) encoding of a file
find into an XML text (crawl the images to be indexed by the GNU Image
Finding Tool, in fact and store them). Unfortunately autoconf does as about
the first thing to get rid of about all the locale settings. So in the
./configure script, the default encoding will be different from the encoding
I get when running my perl script. Do you have some pointers on what to use?

Currently I am using autoconf 2.52 and automake 1.5.

It would be great to get an answer, and please also reply to my mail address,
as I am subscribed to bug-autoconf, but not to this list.

Thanks for all your work,
Wolfgang