RE: detecting mmap?

From: Donn Terry
Subject: RE: detecting mmap?
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2002 08:12:46 -0700

1) Please don't confused MAP_FIXED in the general case with MAP_FIXED
over the top
   of (ordinary) heap, which is what is being tested.  I guess there's a
way that that
   could be useful, but I find it hard to conceive of a situation where
doing that offers
   much over putting the same object elsewhere in the address space.
The test for MAP_FIXED
   that currently exists tests for being able to map over heap.
2) MAP_FIXED when applied to addresses already returned by a prior call
to mmap can
   be quite useful, and I was trying to make that specific distinction.

I haven't looked at gnu grep, but it's worth asking why the mmap()ed
region couldn't
be just as easily elsewhere.

I've run across at least a couple of real-world examples where mmap()
(either without
MAP_PRIVATE at all or limited to prior mmap()ed addresses) is still
quite useful.  (In
fact, the applications run just fine.)  I'll have to refresh myself on
which ones; that
was some time ago.

Donn