RE: detecting mmap?

From: Donn Terry
Subject: RE: detecting mmap?
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2002 09:55:32 -0700

Yes, I meant FIXED... Sorry.

It takes contortions either way: if you map over the top of the heap,
you first have to
be sure there is enough heap to do it.  Which means, probabaly,
allocating 2*PAGESIZE
more than you need out of the heap (if you use malloc to get the space)
so that you
can meet the alignment requirements AND not end up with the same
problem.  (If the end
of the mapped region happens to be the same as the end of the heap,
which could
happen for some malloc implementations, you could end up with the same
problem.)

addr = mmap(...size, no MAP_FIXED...);
mmap(addr + ROUND_UP(...size...), PAGESIZE, MAP_FIXED...);

doesn't look any worse than that.  It doesn't look any worse than
explicit sbrk()
calls, either.

(You do make a good point, however.  Maybe we need to consider adding a
"MAP_ALL" flag
to mmap() that says "validly map size, even if it's bigger than the
object" (and zero fill)).
That could be prototyped now, and proposed for the next POSIX if it
works out to be useful.
(Yeah, I know, it doesn't solve the immediate problem, but in the long
run....))

Donn