RE: Pthread Support For Interix

From: Philip Willoughby
Subject: RE: Pthread Support For Interix
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2002 14:53:09 +0100 (BST)

Yesterday, Dan Kegel wrote:

>I just compiled and ran a pthreads program on Cygwin,
>so perhaps they have progressed since last time you checked.

Quite likely, I tend to just use unix ;-).  I haven't used cygwin for over
a year.

>Which documented security holes are you referring to?

This was true last time I checked, so may not be true now:

The cygwin DLL stores some data in memory which is not cleared when the
user using it logs out of windows.  When I last asked, noone was prepared
to assure me that it would be impossible for this to result in a user's
password(s) being compromised, or for a user to escalate their privileges
by this means.

We therefore felt it would be inappropriate to install the cygwin package
on multi-user machines.  I think there was a case of someone escalating
their privileges going around, but I cannot vouch for its authenticity.

Sorry this is a bit vague...

Regards,

Philip Willoughby

Systems Programmer, Department of Computing, Imperial College, London, UK
--
echo address@hidden | tr "bizndfohces" "pwgd9ociaku"