Re: --with-foo= vs. FOO=${FOO:-foo_default}

From: Troy Cauble
Subject: Re: --with-foo= vs. FOO=${FOO:-foo_default}
Date: Fri, 06 Sep 2002 11:54:52 -0400

Philip Willoughby wrote, on  Mon, 2 Sep 2002 14:56:39 +0100 (BST)

Today, address@hidden wrote:

It may be wrong (or merely suboptimal) to abuse --with and --enable, but if
the only tool you have is a hammer...

This is unfortunately how I feel.  I hate to abuse the --with flags, but
setting 27 different environment variables or editing a config file feels
like a step back.

Blindingly obvious answer:

Why not copy the AC_ARG_WITH macro and rename it to AC_ARG_DEFAULT and
change the code appropriately.

It seems sensible to me to change the defaults at configure time, but I
agree then --with and --enable are inappropriate.

A related question:

I'm porting a large, full-featured, autoconf-based project to an embedded linux
system where certain features cannot be supported.  The C/C++ files will
require a -D flag to control some ifdefs.  The Makefile.am's will require
either ifeq statements or @MY_FLAGS@ style substitutions.

Is the best way to trigger all this with --with, --enable, or something else?

Thanks,
-troy