Re: defined(IRIX)

From: Bill Moseley
Subject: Re: defined(IRIX)
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 06:43:13 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 26 Sep 2002, Philip Willoughby wrote:

> Yesterday, Bill Moseley wrote:
>
> >Does anyone know what macro name I can use to detect when running on IRIX
> >6.5?  I don't have access to the machine so I can't poke around headers.
> >I'm not sure if there's an autoconf solution, or if I just need to find out
> >what name I can use.
>
> Why do you need to know if it's IRIX?  There probably isn't an autoconf
> test since the philosophy of autoconf is to test for features and not
> platforms. Have you looked on ac-archive for a test for the feature/bug you
> need to detect? (http://www.gnu.org/software/ac-archive)

This is the same issuse I discussed here a week or so ago.

We have a memory manager that aligns reads on sizeof(long), but that
causes sigbus on some platforms when sizeof(long) == 4 but we need 8 byte
alignment.

I was never able to find "the" solution for testing this in our code and
have resulted to testing for specific machines when the issue comes up.

#if defined(__sparc__) || defined(IRIX)
/* This is not exactly correct because not all __sparc__ machines require 8 */

#define PointerAlignmentSize 8

#else
#define PointerAlignmentSize sizeof(long)
#endif

Someone pointed out the Postgres configure has a test, but didn't have
time to work that out yet.

> >Can I get gcc to dump the defined macros?A
>
> According to the man page the correct invocation is:
>
> gcc -E -dM <sourcefile.c>

Thanks.  At the end of 15 hours at the screen I failed to see that...

--
Bill Moseley address@hidden