Re: [RFC] Multi-processor friendly autoconf?

From: Dan Kegel
Subject: Re: [RFC] Multi-processor friendly autoconf?
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2002 10:51:08 -0700

Paolo Bonzini wrote:
Here is an idea for writing a multiprocessor-friendly autoconf.
Basically, the idea is to change the configure phase into a Makefile
target, and use caching as a way to split it into various sub-targets that
can be executed in parallel.  The shell script might run the "sane build"
test and then spawn the Makefile.

That sounds good.  I'd like configure to go faster on my dual processor system.

A few other thoughts:

* can you reduce the number of fork/exec's total?  That would also speed
it up.  (Not sure what you could do there, just thought I'd mention it.)

* Can you also consider support for cross-compiling?
AC_TRY_RUN has been begging for an extension
that lets it remotely run code when doing cross-development.
You could probably do something similar with your system
by letting the user provide a macro which specifies a command
used to transfer an executable to a remote system and run it there...

- Dan