Re: [RFC] Multi-processor friendly autoconf?

From: Eric Siegerman
Subject: Re: [RFC] Multi-processor friendly autoconf?
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2002 14:50:44 -0400

On Fri, Sep 27, 2002 at 10:51:08AM -0700, Dan Kegel wrote:
> Paolo Bonzini wrote:
> > Basically, the idea is to change the configure phase into a Makefile
> > target,
> * can you reduce the number of fork/exec's total?  That would also speed
> it up.  (Not sure what you could do there, just thought I'd mention it.)

Doing it as a Makefile will *increase* them -- there'll be
overhead of at least one fork-exec per Makefile rule, i.e. one
per test, that isn't there in the current one-big-shell-script
scheme.

I'm *not* arguing against Paolo's idea -- it sounds rather cool
-- just pointing out one of the costs.

--

|-_|/  >   Eric Siegerman, Toronto, Ont.        address@hidden
|  |  /
The acronym for "the powers that be" differs by only one letter
from that for "the pointy-haired boss".