Re: Macro Archive Relaunch

From: Alexandre Duret-Lutz
Subject: Re: Macro Archive Relaunch
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2003 11:28:04 +0100

>>> "Peter" == Peter Simons <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

 Peter> - The XML format allows for easy addition of meta information, which
 Peter> the old format cannot easily express. I could imagine, for
 Peter> instance, information about related macros (packages),
 Peter> dependencies, appliance to certain Autoconf versions, etc.

My impression is that the macro submitter now has to maintain two files:
  - the m4 file, that should be readable by autoconf, and that
    he/she is using in his project
  - and a separate XML file, that duplicates the code

Is this correct?  If so I hope you'll continue to maintain the
old format.

I understand the former could be built from the latter, but as
far I'm concerned I maintain my macros *in* the project that
uses them and I'm not willing to complexify my projects'
building rules for the sake of the ac-archive (the autotools
infrastructure is already complex enough).  Adding some comments
in the file is fine, adding more files or Makefile rules isn't.

[...]
--
Alexandre Duret-Lutz