Re: rpl library to make use of autoconf tests.

From: Bruce Korb
Subject: Re: rpl library to make use of autoconf tests.
Date: Thu, 01 May 2003 13:57:52 -0700

Paul Eggert wrote:

> Mr E_T <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Does anyone know of a ready made replacement library to use in a
> > project to make use of the autoconf macros already defined.
>
> Some of those functions are in gnulib:
>
> http://savannah.gnu.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/gnulib/gnulib/
>
> GNU coreutils has some others:
>
> ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/coreutils/
>
> We'd like to merge them into Autoconf at some point, but haven't
> gotten around to it.

Please don't.  Autoconf/automake/libtool already add 100's of thousands
of bytes to every distributed package and this would add just that
much more.  Please don't do it.  It would be highly useful as a
standalone package.  Packages that use this "compat lib" package can just
choke if it is too old or doesn't exist.  The auto* tools are way too
bulky now and need to go on a diet.  No more bulk.