Re: checking for non-standard headers

From: Guido Draheim
Subject: Re: checking for non-standard headers
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 03:18:29 +0200

Larry Siden wrote:
On Mon, 2003-08-11 at 20:05, Guido Draheim wrote:

Braden McDaniel wrote:

Quoting Larry Siden <address@hidden>:

How can I get autoconf to automatically find header files that are not
part of the standard include path, but for which *.pc files exist?

You don't need to do that; if the pkg-config metafile is on the system, the assumption is that the package installation is intact. There's not much point in trying to make broken installations work.

I'd like to agree - it's better to force users to install pkg-config
as a build-requirement, it's very very easy to do such as pkg-config
is a  standalone program written in plain and simple C. And if no
pkg-config then all its modules are not installed even when someone
did download-and-install-from-source some third-party packages
without pkg-config among them.

I don't understand exactly what issue in my original post these comments
are addressing.  Two of the prerequisites my program needs, glib and
pango, have .pc files in my /usr/lib/pkgconfig/.  The third, freetype,
doesn't, but my partner and I were thinking of notifying the freetype
developers and asking them if they could include one in the next
release.  As for me, I started building a .pc file in my distro as soon
as I learned about it.

My question remains: how to use the info in the .pc files that glib and
pango installed so that autoconf & Co. can find the necessary header
files and the user (i.e. the one who downloads my package and run
./configure) does not have to manually and explicitly specify their
locations on his/her machine.  (Same for freetype once they start
installing a freetype.pc file).

I do not know what the problem actually is, the pkg.m4 macro says:

dnl PKG_CHECK_MODULES(GSTUFF, gtk+-2.0 >= 1.3 glib = 1.3.4, .......
dnl defines GSTUFF_LIBS, GSTUFF_CFLAGS, ....

and two times already I'm asking what's wrong with adding to
CFLAGS within configure.ac like
   CFLAGS="$CFLAGS $GSTUFF_CFLAGS"

As for freetype, what about querying pkg-config pangoft2 ?

cheers, guido