Re: --prefix and -R path

From: Steven W. Orr
Subject: Re: --prefix and -R path
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 16:02:52 -0400 (EDT)

On Tuesday, Oct 21st 2003 at 14:29 -0500, quoth Bob Friesenhahn:

=>> What's happening is configure and make run fine, but ldd shows "not
=>> found" for libz's runtime linkage.
=>>
=>> I'm linking with zlib which is installed in /usr/local/lib, but it seems
=>> that on this machine (Solaris 2.6) that /usr/local/lib is not part of
=>> the default search path.
=>>
=>> This causes confusion because configure is saying libz is found and then
=>> make check fails saying libz is not found.
=>
=>A correct -R option needs to be specified, or set LD_LIBRARY_PATH

May I suggest that you *not* use LD_LIBRARY_PATH? The real purpose of
LD_LP is to allow a program to pick from multiple shared objects at
loadtime. It's a bad thing to use this as a general rule because it fails
for setuid programs. The -R option is clearly the way to go.

--
-Time flies like the wind. Fruit flies like a banana. Stranger things have -
-happened but none stranger than this. Does your driver's license say Organ
steveo at syslang.net