Re: --prefix and -R path

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: --prefix and -R path
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 15:29:01 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003, Steven W. Orr wrote:

> =>A correct -R option needs to be specified, or set LD_LIBRARY_PATH
>
> May I suggest that you *not* use LD_LIBRARY_PATH? The real purpose of
> LD_LP is to allow a program to pick from multiple shared objects at
> loadtime. It's a bad thing to use this as a general rule because it fails
> for setuid programs. The -R option is clearly the way to go.

When Sun introduced LD_LIBRARY_PATH in its operating systems (later
adopted by Linux) it was described as a tool for use by developers
rather than end-users.  For Solaris, I prefer -R, but Linux and
FreeBSD users will likely prefer to do without.  They may use some
other means (e.g. ldconfig or LD_LIBRARY_PATH) to configure the
library search path.

This is a topic of never-ending debate.

As a result, for packages I support, I provide supporting
documentation and expect the users to do what they want.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn
address@hidden