Re: Large File Support

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: Large File Support
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 15:47:33 -0600 (CST)

On Mon, 10 Nov 2003, Guido Draheim wrote:

> With win32 systems that might be slightly different however since
> here the libc is not system-specific but compiler-specific. Each
> compiler vendor and compiler version may link its programs with
> a different libc implementation and it is uncertain whether that
> libc implementation takes advantage of kernel largefile calls.
> Actually, I just do not know but I expect that the most simple
> path has been used and the win32 stdio api is fully limited to
> 32bit  on 32bit cpus, but that nay FUD and we better ask a guru.

Regardless of the wonders of Windows-NT, XP, etc., the WIN32 API is
still hobbled by an expectation that most pre-compiled programs will
be able to run under Windows '95.

Microsoft at least exposes the underscore "raw" API calls necessary to
support 64-bits.  It seems that Borland does not.  MinGW uses the libc
DLL that comes on every Windows system so it does provide access to
the underscore API calls.

It seems that at least for the Microsoft compiler, Cygwin, and MinGW,
Autoconf could arrange to provide some compatibility defines to allow
POSIX-style read/write code to compile and run with large file
support.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn
address@hidden