Re: Large File Support

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: Large File Support
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 14:48:46 -0600 (CST)

On Mon, 10 Nov 2003, Guido Draheim wrote:

> > That may be difficult to accomplish.  I am not aware that Windows
> > stdio and other high-level "Windows" I/O interfaces support large
> > files since the APIs are 32 bit.  You need to use _read, _write,
> > _lseeki64, & _telli64 to support large files under Windows.
>
> stdio does not care about off_t anyway, and that's what fseeko
> is for (AC_FUNC_FSEEKO). - And actually, the newer nt kernel is
> completely 64bit largefile inside and exports all the necessary
> API calls to let user applications work with largefiles. It's
> just not as easy as with the the posix "magic" define that we come
> to use through AC_SYS_LARGEFILE - you have to invent your own
> mappings to the win32 lfs transitional api which happens to be
> named slightly different than the posix lfs transitional api.
> see http://ac-archive.sf.net/largefile/win32.html for reference.

The stdio implementation and interface certainly depends on file
offsets.  My point is that stdio does not support 64-bit offsets under
x86 Windows. This is in spite of NT and NTFS being able to support
64-bit offsets.  The link you referenced seems to say the same thing
as I did.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn
address@hidden