Re: Unquoting in _AC_PROG_FC_V_OUTPUT

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Unquoting in _AC_PROG_FC_V_OUTPUT
Date: 14 Jan 2004 11:26:21 -0800

In <http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/autoconf/2004-01/msg00103.html>
Ron McTaggart-Cowan <address@hidden> writes:

> I'm wondering if the best way to proceed is to add the PGf90
> compilers to this case selection, or to continue to remove quote
> characters from arguments in general?

I'd guess the latter.  I'll CC: this to Steven G. Johnson, our
resident Fortran expert, to see what he thinks.

While we're in the neighborhood, I noticed some POSIX conformance
bugs in that area.  POSIX doesn't allow you to say things like this:

sed 's/\"//'

since \" has undefined behavior in a BRE (Basic Regular Expression).
Instead, any of the following will do:

sed 's/"//'

Personally I think the first is clearest....