Re: PACKAGE_NAME, PACKAGE_VERSION etc

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: PACKAGE_NAME, PACKAGE_VERSION etc
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 10:15:26 -0600 (CST)

On Wed, 18 Feb 2004, Daniel Reed wrote:

> On 2004-02-18T00:31-0000, Balint Joo wrote:
> ) /* Name of package */
> ) #define PACKAGE "qdp"
> ) The trouble is that when we configure two packages,
> ) the #define macro names conflict. Ie we configure build and
> ) install package 1 and its config.h contains the above.
> )
> ) We then configure package 2 which uses the config.h from package
> ) 1. But package 2 also contains the #define macros
>
> If at all possible, simply do not include both config.h files in your code.
> If you need the output from one autoconf check in both config.h files,
> simply repeat the check in both project's configure.ac files.

This is not very efficient and doesn't make much sense at all.  If the
library configuration uses user supplied configuration options then
there may be a mis-match and bad things will happen.  It doesn't make
sense for an image library's configuration script to test to see if
X11 supports the shape extension because it relies on some other
library to handle X11.

Library headers are often dependent on the library's "config.h".  The
trick is to distill out only those options which effect header files.
This gets rid of 99% of the cruft.  The last 1% can be renamed to use
non-conflicting names if necessary.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn
address@hidden