Re: AC_HEADER_STDC and cross-compiles?

From: Ralf Corsepius
Subject: Re: AC_HEADER_STDC and cross-compiles?
Date: Thu, 08 Apr 2004 07:01:29 +0200

On Thu, 2004-04-08 at 03:24, Harlan Stenn wrote:
> I have a configure script that calls AC_HEADER_STDC.
>
> We run cross-compiles.
>
> I'm seeing a case where if our cross-compile toolchain is for a later
> version of Linux than the one on the local machine (say, one that uses gcc3
> instead of gcc2) that the AC_HEADER_STDC test fails because it tries to run
> a test program on the local(!) system,

This should not happen. How do you invoke configure?

>  and this fails:
>
> ./conftest: /lib/i686/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.3' not found (required by
> ./c
> onftest)
Short answer: Your cross toolchain seems to be broken or mal installed.

Longer answer: It's difficult to guess what actually is causing your
problems. You seem to be using a cross-gcc that is linked against a
different libc than your build system is using.
How did you build this cross-gcc? To build a cross-gcc you normally need
to rebuild it from scratch, using gcc's cross-building machinery
(sys-include etc.).
"Just copying" an older "native gcc" normally is not sufficient (In case
you don't know it, you might want to search the net for Dan Kegel's
crosstools script).